1. enjoying personal rights or liberty, as a person who is not in slavery: a land of free people.
2. pertaining to or reserved for those who enjoy personal liberty: They were thankful to be living on free soil.
3. existing under, characterized by, or possessing civil and political liberties that are, as a rule, constitutionally guaranteed by representative government: the free nations of the world.
4. enjoying political autonomy, as a people or country not under foreign rule; independent.
5. exempt from external authority, interference, restriction, etc., as a person or one’s will, thought, choice, action, etc.; independent; unrestricted.
6. able to do something at will; at liberty: free to choose.
7. clear of obstructions or obstacles, as a road or corridor: The highway is now free of fallen rock.
8. not occupied or in use: I’ll try to phone her again if the line is free.
9. exempt or released from something specified that controls, restrains, burdens, etc. (usually followed by from or of ): free from worry; free of taxes.
10. having immunity or being safe (usually followed by from ): free from danger.
11. provided without, or not subject to, a charge or payment: free parking; a free sample.