Stone veneer being applied to a building on the “Shops at Stonefield” site.
1. a thin layer of wood or other material for facing or inlaying wood.
2. any of the thin layers of wood glued together to form plywood.
3. Building Trades . a facing of a certain material applied to a different one or to a type of construction not ordinarily associated with it, as a facing of brick applied to a frame house.
4. a superficially valuable or pleasing appearance: a cruel person with a veneer of kindliness.–Dictionary.com
I wonder how honesty in language would work? The shoppes at Cinderblock?
gizmo [giz-moh] noun. Definition: gadget
Synonyms: appliance, contraption, contrivance, device, doohickey, instrument, machine, mechanical device, thingamabob, thingamajig, tool, whatchamacallit, widget
al·ley [al-ee] noun, plural al·leys.
1. a passage, as through a continuous row of houses, permitting access from the street to backyards, garages, etc.
2. a narrow back street.–Dictionary.com
Back before fire engines achieved the leadership role in urban design, back when streets were a part of the public commons, there were alleys. In Charlottesville several neighborhoods established before the apotheosis of the Automobile have alleys. The alley above is in Belmont, parallel to and north of Hinton Avenue.
Dear Charlottesville Planning Commission. Please consider the reintroduction of the alley into the urban form.
JABA will break ground on Tuesday, May 8, 2012, from 10 to 11 AM for its affordable senior housing development, Timberlake Place, 1512 East Market Street, in the historic Woolen Mills neighborhood of Charlottesville.
trans·mute–verb (used with object), verb (used without object), trans·mut·ed, trans·mut·ing.
to change from one nature, substance, form, or condition into another; transform.
trans·mog·ri·fy–verb (used with object), trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing.
to change in appearance or form, especially strangely or grotesquely; transform. —Dictionary.com
1. An effect or extraordinary event in the physical world that surpasses all known human or natural powers and is ascribed to a supernatural cause.–Dictionary.com
Describing someone who is far from alert or oriented to time and space, and exhibits other signs being confused, a state just short of frank delirium.
I worked here forty years ago, then it was one building, a surface parking lot and nuns on the seventh floor. Forty years. O lost!
Charlottesville, Virginia, UVA Rotunda
2. Architecture . a circular opening, especially one at the apex of a dome.–Dictionary.com
verb (used without object)
1. to depart from a camp; to pack up equipment and leave a camping ground: We decamped before the rain began.dictionary.com
We are supposed to inhabit the present. It is something I don’t do well. I don’t understand opportunity when it is in front of me. There you go. Don’t understand the visual when it is in front of me. End up wondering after the fact. Was that love? Was that a gift? End up wondering about details too. Was that thing significant? Was that thing mundane?
This photo is a 0.1666th of a second from the last day in November, 2338 hours. The Charlottesville Virginia Occupiers being removed from a City park for violating its 11p.m. curfew.
Were the ball-caps significant? They were a florescent green. Did they have a printed message? Seven people in the frame are wearing the caps.
The items on a pole on the left and the words “occupy for justice”. Looks like a standard, a repurposed 21st Century Aquila
In profile this staff and standard resembles a bird with a heron-like beak. In profile it looks like a kill stick. What is it intended to convey? How is it used?
There are police or firemen on the right, blurred. They are moving… to arrest the naked lady? Who are the actors? Who is that female illuminated enface in the foreground? Does her video include commentary? What is she saying? Is this what democracy looks like? Is this what Kabuki theater looks like? Who is that man on that horse?
2. unsure; uncertain; not definite or positive; hesitant: a tentative smile on his face.–dictionary.com
1. the state of being vacant; emptiness.
2. a vacant, empty, or unoccupied place, as untenanted lodgings or offices: This building still has no vacancies.