“…built as an addition to a small mid-nineteenth century frame house on Riverdale Drive
in Charlottesville for Minnie M. Barnes in 1912. The addition features rock-faced concrete
block quoins, a concrete block foundation and a tetrastyle portico without
capitals or bases.”- K. Edward Lay

For over a century this house sat on a bluff of the Rivanna, facing east toward
the Free Bridge. It has been torn down in the last few days. What next for this
lot at the eastern entrance of Charlottesville? A drug store?

riverdale site
Entrance corridor. Welcome to beautiful Charlottesville. This the former Riverdale site.